Your Complete Guide to Managing Wild Chickens on Oahu
Managing Wild Chickens on Oahu: A Guide for Homeowners and Businesses
If you live in Hawaii (or even if you’ve only visited) then you have definitely seen the wild chickens that seem to run rampant throughout the state. Wild chickens are a common sight and can be a nuisance –both noisy and disruptive– to homeowners and businesses. Professionals like Mid-Pacific Pest Control can help manage and eradicate these pests, but having a basic knowledge of these buggahs can also help you as a first line of defense! In this article, we’ll explore the basics of wild chicken biology, the problems they can cause, and the best ways to manage wild chickens on Oahu.
Wild chickens on Oahu are descendants of domestic chickens that were brought to the island by early Polynesian settlers. These chickens have adapted to living in the wild and have become feral, meaning they live and breed in the wild without human intervention.
Wild chickens are typically brown or red in color and have a distinctive, upright posture. They are most active during the day and can often be heard making loud, clucking noises.
Problems Caused by Wild Chickens
While SOME people may enjoy seeing wild chickens roam free on Oahu, others know how much of a nuisance they can be. Here are just a few of the problems that wild chickens can cause to our tropical paradise:
- Noise: If you’ve SEEN wild chickens, then you’ve definitely HEARD wild chickens. These pests can be noisy and disruptive, especially when they are crowing or clucking.
- Property damage: Wild chickens can cause property damage by scratching and pecking at gardens, lawns, and landscaping.
- Safety hazards: Wild chickens can create safety hazzards by crossing roads and causing traffic accidents.
- Disease transmission: Wild chickens can carry diseases that can be harmful to humans and pets.
Managing Your Wild Chicken Problem
If you’re a homeowner or business owner on Oahu and are having problems with wild chickens, then don’t fret! There are several ways to manage them. Some tips from our top pest experts include:
- Physical exclusion: Physical exclusion involves using barriers, such as fences or netting, to keep wild chickens out of your property.
- Scare them away!: Scaring techniques involve using loud noises or sudden movements to frighten wild chickens and discourage them from entering your property. Pets can also help to do this.
- Humane trapping and relocation: Humane trapping and relocation involves capturing wild chickens and releasing them in a more suitable location (such as a farm or animal sanctuary).
- Professional pest control: If you’re unable to manage a wild chicken problem on your own, it’s important to contact a professional pest control company like Mid-Pacific Pest Control. We have the knowledge and expertise to manage wild chicken populations safely and effectively, and have been for years!
Wild chickens on Oahu can certainly be a nuisance to homeowners and businesses, but there are several ways to manage them. By understanding wild chicken biology, the problems they can cause, and the best ways to manage them, you can keep your property safe and free from wild chicken-related issues. If you’re having problems with wild chickens on Oahu, make sure to contact Mid-Pacific Pest Control for assistance!