Types of Bugs in Oahu: Your Complete Guide
Ah, Oahu… full of gorgeous beaches, lush mountains, and… bugs? Yep. Yeah, we know, not exactly what you were expecting, right? But hey, it’s a tropical paradise, and bugs are part of the package. So, let’s talk about the types of bugs in Oahu. And don’t worry, we won’t get too scientific on you (you can leave all that boring stuff to us). Just a casual chat about our six (and sometimes eight) legged friends.
Let’s Talk Types of Bugs in Oahu
Let’s start with the basics. Oahu is home to a variety of bugs, from the usual suspects like ants and mosquitoes, to more exotic species like the happy face spider. Yup, you heard me right, a happy face spider. More on that little guy later.
- Ants: First up, ants. Oh man, there are so many types of ants in Oahu. From the little black ones that seem to be everywhere, to the big carpenter ants that can give you a nasty bite. And let’s not forget about the invasive little fire ant, which has been causing all sorts of problems. Best advice? Keep your food sealed and your counters clean.
- Mosquitoes: Next, mosquitoes. These little bloodsuckers are, unfortunately, a common sight in Oahu. And they can carry diseases like dengue fever and Zika virus. So make sure to wear mosquito repellent, especially during the rainy season.
- Centipedes: Okay, now we’re getting into the creepy territory. Centipedes. Ugh, they’re enough to give you the shivers just thinking about them. These guys can get pretty big, and their bites can be painful. So watch out when you’re hiking or gardening.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches. Need I say more? These guys are everywhere, and they are tough to get rid of. Keep your house clean, and seal up any cracks or holes in the walls.
- Happy Face Spider: Now, onto the more exotic bugs. The happy face spider is a small spider, about the size of a pencil eraser, and it has a pattern on its back that looks like a smiley face. Cute, right? But don’t let its appearance fool you, this spider is a predator, and it helps keep the bug population in check (which can make it hard to decide if this guy is a friend or foe).
Dealing with All Types of Oahu Bugs
Okay, so we’ve talked about the types of bugs in Oahu, but what do you do if you encounter them? Well, first of all, don’t panic. Most bugs are harmless, and they’re just going about their business. If you see a bug outside, just leave it alone. If you find a bug inside your house, you may need to take steps to get rid of it. This can include cleaning your house thoroughly, sealing up any cracks or holes, and using traps or bug spray if necessary. The best way to deal with any types of bugs in Oahu is to call in the professionals…
Rid Your Oahu Home of All Types of Bugs
Even though they are mostly ARE harmless, bugs can be true pests that make your home feel unfriendly. Deal with pests and all types of bugs in Oahu by contacting professionals like Mid Pacific Control.